Trust me. Unwanted surprises can be a risky affair! Imagine you are in your private office or home with no door or gate video intercom system installed. And you have no security personnel stationed to check on visitors coming to your office. Your mind is fully fixed on a project you are working on.
You are holding a special business meeting or just having a good time with your family. Then suddenly, a stranger walks into your office or home without your prior knowledge. You will definitely be surprised or even feel scared, right?
Therefore, as a home or an office owner, you need to be always vigilant. For security reasons, you need to know who is at your door or gate before you grant them access.
If you value your home and office security, no unauthorized person ought to walk into your private home or office without your permission. This is because your home or office is not a public place where everyone walks in and out at will.
Since you may not have resources for a full-time door attendant, a door or gate Video Intercom system is your saving grace. It will surely give you peace of mind for your desired office and home security. Remember: Security first! It starts at your gate, and it starts at your door! It definitely starts with you!
What is a Video Intercom System?
- A video intercom system is a stand-alone intercom system that manages the calls made at the entrance of your house, an apartment or your office.
- Visitors make a call by pressing a button or dials a number at an externally mounted terminal. The terminal is equipped with both camera and speaker.
- As a host, you are able to view your caller and communicate with him/her through a receiver monitor.
- The monitor has a door Unlock button. If you press the button, the door’s electric lock releases the door for your visitor to gain access. You can opt to deny visitors access.
- Since the door has a door closer, it will lock automatically after your visitor gets in or gets out
- If you suspect that your door caller is not a genuine person, you can quickly take the necessary security precautions after denying them access.
- A video intercom system can be integrated with other security features like door alarm system for enhanced security.
- With an IP-based intercom solution, you can get visitors’ notifications through your smartphone. Through your phone, you can speak to them and even grant them access. Smart, isn’t it?
How a Video Intercom System Works
Video Intercom Selection-
Which Is The Right System For You?
Video intercom systems are classified based on two criteria:
1. Criteria based on installation place:
Video intercom systems are installed both indoors and outdoors.
a. Outdoor video intercom systems: When integrated with CCTV cameras, this system allows you to observe who is ringing at a distance. This system is suitable for your own compound or an apartment. It’s suitable if the front door of the main house or an apartment is located a couple of meters away.
The outdoor panel (street panel) is installed right beside the gateway or external door. It is designed to withstand harsh weather conditions. Thus, your guests will ring from the gate, and you will get to see and communicate with them before allowing them in. You will be equipped with a receiver with a display unit which allows you to answer their video call.
You can also choose between flush mounted panels that blend with any wall surface. Common brands include HikVison brand, Panasonic, Commax, and KKMoon video door phones.
b. Indoor video intercom system: These intercom systems are suitable for apartments and offices with outer enclosers. The system terminals should therefore not be exposed to harsh weather conditions. The video intercom system comprises a unit right outside your door or gate. Guests’ calls are received from inside your house or office.
The monitor consists of a display screen, a microphone, and an earpiece, as well as a button to trigger the door-lock release. It is highly suitable in a working environment where access to certain areas is restricted. It is also suitable for homes.
2. Criteria based on communications technology:
Video intercom systems can be classified into analogue and IP technologies.
a. Analog video intercom systems: These intercom systems comprise of an external unit that comprises of the external camera with push buttons that allow the visitor to make a call. The system relays the video and voice via an analogue channel to the main display where the call is received. Some models take a snapshot of the caller if the call isn’t received, giving additional security.
b. IP video intercom system: With these systems, the voice and video are relayed over a network as a digital stream to a display device connected to the network. This means that you can receive the call even from your mobile phone or tablet (or laptop) from any location. What’s amazing is that as you speak to your visitor, they will always assume you are present unless you tell them otherwise! Now that’s cool! Isn’t it?
If you have a huge compound or multiple rooms which make it impossible to rush to the door every time you receive a guest, then the IP video intercom system will definitely work for you. What’s more, if you are away, the call will be routed to your cell phone or tablet. You can still receive the video call from any location. You do not have to be at home to know who is visiting you! Awesome!
3. Based on Connectivity:
There are Wireless and Wired Video Intercom Systems you can choose from.
a. Wireless Solution: If your facility does not allow for physical wiring, you can consider a wireless video intercom solution. The drawback is that it can be subject to interferences from other wireless signals.
b. Wired Solution: Involves the use of cables. Ensures adequate security as there are no possible interferences.
6 Reasons Why You Need a Video Intercom System
- Security when you are around: Video intercom systems provide additional security in that you will see who is trying to gain entry without having to answer the door first. In the event of an emergency, you have the time to call for help and give the vivid description of the caller.
- Security when you are away: You can receive calls through your phones when away. Your caller will not know you are away. With an IP solution, you can receive calls in any location any time so long as you have an internet connection.
- Access restrictions in controlled environments: Since video intercom system has an access control benefits, you can easily control who accesses which room or building. With a video intercom system, you will minimize the chance of someone pretending to be an authorized person while making the call.
- Integration with other security measures: You can integrate the video intercom system with other security measures like a keypad where the guest will enter a code or a biometric reader for accessing restricted areas.
- Improved insurance rates for the premises: Improving your premise’s security gives you the benefit of better rates from your insurer. Thus, with the video intercom system, you can expect to successfully negotiate for better deals since you have taken the step to secure the premises greatly.
- Theft-deterrent: Most burglaries are opportunistic; that is, the burglar will not go through extensive planning in order to gain entry. Furthermore, installers can link your video system to an alarm system for enhanced security.
Searching For Video Intercom System?
6 Factors You Must Consider!
As with all security systems, you need to consider a number of factors when selecting the video intercom system.
Different types, brands, and models come with different costs. For example, the analogue (wired) intercom system will cost significantly less than the IP intercom system due to the internet equipment needed.
2. Your needs
You may or may not need an outdoor all-weather video intercom system when you plan to install it in an apartment complex or within a building. Ensure that you provide your service provider with complete details of your needs. Also, if you are away most of the time, then an IP video intercom system would be more suitable for you as it offers more flexible features. Depending on your location, you may consider a wired or a wireless solution.
3. Quality of Camera Image & efficiency
When image clarity is your key preference, you shall consider an intercom camera that captures high definition videos and pictures. You should also consider night-vision capacity when selecting a unit. Also ensure that during your selection, you focus on the system’s efficiency and stability. Check the system’s details or do own research about the product’s reviews.
4. Camera and monitor number
If your premises include a number of apartments or interconnected offices, you should go for a unit that accommodates multiple monitors and cameras, instead of buying multiple units at the same time.
5. The warranty
As with all electrical equipment, you should only go for a video intercom system that comes with a valid warranty. This will cover you in case of malfunctions that cause you to require a new unit installed, thus saving you the cash.
6. Competent installation service
Before you settle for a security service provider ensure that they have the knowledge and capacity to serve you. Are they willing to provide after-sale support? Will they provide training after installation? Further, ensure that you have different communication channels through which you can reach your service provider.
Regardless of how secure you expect the neighbourhood or street location to be, your security starts with you. Thus, the video intercom systems give you a more significant impact on securing your home or work premises. Since there are several options in the market, seek guidance from your service provider. However, it’s important to ensure that the solution your receive fulfils your security requirements
Whether you are present or not, your door access remains controlled. You also won’t rely on the goodwill of the security guards (if you have any) to control access to your premises. Thus, the video intercom system potentially is one of the best security measures you can invest in.
Finally, ensure that your service provider can fully understand, and satisfactorily fulfil your requirements. Since this is a security solution, they should always be reachable when you require their services.